LegalWise plays a significant role in the social and economic development of South Africans, through the provision of access to justice for all and through investing human and financial resources into the communities within which we operate. LegalWise is committed to alleviating poverty, unemployment and inequality within South Africa. In order to facilitate transformation, LegalWise believes in the power of connecting people and establishing shared value partnerships that ensure a meaningful impact in community development. All this is achieved with the support of the LegalWise management and staff, as well as their Members, who believe in working together to improve the lives of all South Africans.
LegalWise believes in a philosophy of starting with what you have and building on what you know. Focus is placed on the strengths and capabilities within communities rather than on needs and deficiencies. This approach empowers people to contribute meaningfully to their own development and toward acknowledging both their rights and responsibilities.
Examples of LegalWise’s involvement in community development include:
LegalWise employees are encouraged to participate in activities that give back and strengthen relationships with their communities.
- Payroll Giving
- Each month, LegalWise staff donate funds from their salaries to the Give-As-You-Earn programme through Charities Aid Foundation Southern Africa - http://www.cafsouthernafrica.org/index.php/2012-09-03-16-10-46/payroll-giving
LegalWise provides business development support to existing small, micro businesses to improve their capacity to expand and generate profits.
- Ikhala Trust
- LegalWise supports the Ikhala trust in their aim to provide small grants to community based organisations that aim to improve livelihoods in rural areas of the Eastern Cape. www.ikhala.org.za
- Eastern Cape NGO Coalition
- LegalWise supports the Eastern Cape NGO Coalition in building capacity amongst their community based organisations throughout the province www.ecngoc.co.za
- Community Development Foundation Western Cape
- LegalWise supports the Community Development Foundation WC to improve food security and the ability of the youth to create their own livelihoods - Case Study
LegalWise believes that quality education is the foundation of success. Flagship projects in education include:
- Assisting the community to build a library at the Ekwaluseni High School in Bergville, KZN - Case Study
- Assisting the Sizwile School for the Deaf, based in Dobsonville, Soweto, to build a specialist library. LegalWise has supported the school for the past four years by establishing a bakery in 2012 followed by a food garden in 2013.
- Offering bursaries to our Members for studies in the legal and business administration fields. Applications for the 2016 academic year are now closed. Applications for the 2017 academic year will open on 1 August 2016.