Share this

Rental Housing Tribunal

What type of complaints may be lodged with the Rental Housing Tribunal (“Tribunal”)?

  • A complaint about unfair practice may be lodged by a tenant or a landlord of a property (for example, a house, room or flat), for example:
    • Unacceptable living conditions, such as overcrowding or hygienic issues.
    • Insufficient maintenance or repairs of a property.
    • Not paying rent to the landlord.
    • Asking an excessive amount of rent.
    • Not refunding a deposit of the tenant.
    • Damage to a property (for example, a door of the landlord or a table of the tenant).
    • Eviction without a court order.
    • Disconnection of services (such as electricity) without a court order.
    • Non-compliance with the Rental Housing Act.
    • Not issuing a receipt to a tenant in respect of payment made.
    • Discrimination by a landlord on ground of race, sex and so on, of a tenant.

What are the functions of the Tribunal?

  • Receives from and investigates complaints of landlords or tenants.
  • Resolves disputes between landlords and tenants through mediation and arbitration.
  • Gives advice and provides education to landlords and tenants about their rights and obligations.
  • The Tribunal’s services are free.

How can a complaint be lodged at the Tribunal?

  • Complete the prescribed forms available from the Tribunal.
  • Lodge the completed forms together with the documents in support of the complaint with the Tribunal. This may be done in person, by post, by fax or by e-mail.
  • The documents in support of the claim may include: copies of the landlord or tenant’s identity document; written lease agreement, or the terms of the verbal lease agreement; proof of payment, if any; addresses of the tenant and the landlord; and contact details of the tenant and the landlord.
  • A complaint may take three months to resolve. After a complaint has been lodged with the Tribunal, until the date of the Tribunal’s ruling the:
    • landlord may not evict the tenant;
    • tenant must continue to pay the rent; and
    • landlord must continue to maintain and/or repair the property.

What happens after a complaint has been lodged with the Tribunal?

  • The Tribunal will:
    • Investigate the complaint to establish whether there is a dispute between the landlord and tenant.
    • Try to resolve the dispute through mediation; the landlord and the tenant will be notified in writing of the mediation date and time. Where a mediation agreement was concluded, such mediation agreement must be made a ruling of the Tribunal. If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, it should be referred to arbitration (also referred to as a hearing).
    • Conduct an arbitration hearing; the landlord and tenant will be summoned to appear at the Tribunal on a certain date and time.
    • Decide on a just and fair ruling. The ruling of the Tribunal is binding on both the tenant and the landlord.
  • If the landlord or tenant fails to comply with a ruling of the Tribunal, s/he may be convicted of an offence and sentenced to pay a fine, be imprisoned, or both.
  • A ruling of the Tribunal is deemed to be an order of the Magistrate’s Court and may be taken on review to the High Court.

Can a landlord go to court instead of using the Tribunal?

  • Yes, a landlord can go to court in order to claim arrear rent, but only if there is no unfair practice present. The court may refer a dispute back to the Tribunal, if it finds evidence of unfair practice.
  • A landlord can also go to court for an eviction order; the Tribunal cannot make an order to evict a tenant.

Glossary of terms:

EVICTION: an order obtained from court by the landlord forcing the tenant to vacate the property.

LANDLORD: the owner of the property or a person duly authorised by the owner of the property to be in charge of the property. The landlord may rent out a property to a tenant, and is also referred to as a lessor.

PROPERTY: a place a person lives in, for example, a house, room, flat, garage or similar structure used for housing purposes.

RENTAL HOUSING TRIBUNAL: an independent body that resolves disputes between landlords and tenants.

SUMMONED: written notification to appear in the Tribunal on a certain date and time.

TENANT: a person renting a property from a landlord, and is also referred to as a lessee.

How can LegalWise assist you?

Should you require an explanation of your rights on this topic, please contact your nearest Branch.


The information contained on this website is aimed at providing members of the public with guidance on the law in South Africa. This information has not been provided to meet the individual requirements of a specific person and LegalWise insists that legal advice be obtained to address a person’s unique circumstances. It is important to remember that the law is constantly changing and although LegalWise strives to keep the information up to date and of a high quality, it cannot be guaranteed that the information will be updated and/or be without errors or omissions. As a result, LegalWise, its employees, independent contractors, associates or third parties will under no circumstances accept liability or be held liable, for any innocent or negligent actions or omissions by LegalWise, which may result in any harm or liability flowing from the use of or the inability to use the information provided.

I accept cookies from this site
Web Privacy Policy